Thursday, August 21, 2008

No secrets here!

Well, I guess things don't stay secrets for long with Faith Anne!
Today she made a comment to someone, who I will not name.
"---, Why am I getting so fat? I don't like it."
..
...Well THAT was straight forward! At least she is honest.
I heard ------ explain to her that when little girls are growing up, sometimes that happens, and it's okay.
"That sounds like a good answer!" I thought
Oh, but there is more.
Faith: "Well how come my friends aren't fat and I am? I want to be skinny."
----: "Well, if you want to look better, you have to watch what you eat! You should cut back on sugars and fats, that will help. And there is something on the back of packages of everything that tells you how fat it will make you. It's called "Calories". The higher the number of calories, the more fat it can make you, especially if you aren't exercising enough. So if you watch those and count them up every day, you can know if you are eating so much you are going to get fat, or so little you are going to get skinny."
OH.
MY.
GOODNESS.

NOT cool to tell a nine year old! She shouldn't be worrying about that!
Does -- really want ANOTHER child in their life with an Eating Disorder?
I would think one wold be enough.. But hey, what do I know?
Anyway,
Of course, I took her aside myself and talked to her.
"Eat when you are hungry, and stop when your tummy says you are full. Don't eat when you are just bored. Listen to your tummy, it knows what it needs! Trust it. If your stomach tells you that you are still hungry after you eat something, it's okay to eat a little bit more!"

"Remember in october when I left and was gone for a few months? You had to visit me in the hospital, and I had a tube in my nose and down my throat?
Well, do you know WHY I was sick, and I had to have that icky tube? It's because I wasn't listening to what my body was telling me to eat. I was ignoring it! I know, how SILLY of me! You don't want to have to do that, do ya? If you trust your body, you won't have to!"

I then went on to explain that being 'skinny' doesn't mean you are healthy. This was (surprisingly to me) a very hard concept for her to grasp! I explained it to the best of my abilities, but she still seemed a bit dissatisfied with the answer. She wanted someone to give her something more to do to not get fat.
I proceeded to show her the "Nutrition by Natalie" Vlogs on youtube, as I myself have found them to be extremely helpful.

I wish she would jut be happy with who she is.

3 comments:

Meredith said...

What a great big sister you are! Good for you being honest and more on her level.

I'm so glad that I found your blog! (Which is SO cute by the way!)

Annette Larsen said...

Good for you for being honest and helping her be a kid.

Jana said...

Hi, Mary Lynn! I found your blog too!
So, my little Emma is only five and she has already said these kinds of things to me too! It was awhile ago and hasn't come up again, but it's so scary how young they start worrying about it!