Sunday, June 27, 2010

Doing the Work.

Sit through a little scenario with me, if you will.. :

Once upon a time, in a land wherever you are, 
there was you.
One day, you decided to have a party.
You didn't mean for the party to get so out of control-
Friends invited friends, who invited friends..

You kept trying to calm everything down,
To no avail..

Until you were finally so tired, 

You just stopped trying to keep the peace. 
Needless to say (But I'll say it, anyway),
Your house gets pretty trashed.
Go figure.

The next day,
you want your house clean again-
Because it's so much more peaceful that way.
But it's just so messy, it's overwhelming.
You need help, you just can't get it all done by yourself!
So you call a cleaning company.
They come to your house,
and start cleaning...

Except, they don't live there.
They don't know where anything goes.
Sure, they can vacuum, pick up the trash..
Maybe you call a friend
who can help put your furniture back together
(Yes, it was that bad)
But if you want your house put together right,
Everything put in it's proper place,
Everything back to normal..
Then YOU have to do the work. 
No one else knows where everything belongs;
Where you need things to be

to have your home back together



The same goes for healing. 
You can have as many people around you, helping you,
As you could want..
But in the end,
You are your own best healer.
It's true, you cannot do it on your own-
You'll need help,
And sometimes a lot of it

But in the end,
Only you can heal yourself.
No one else can do that for you.
You are your own best healer.

...

Thanks to Heather Lewin for the base of this post! Love you!

7 comments:

C'est La Vie said...

you are your own best hearler...so true :)

Amber Rochelle said...

I like this analogy...a lot. So true.

firefly said...

Wow! you are so right! Keep working at it!

The Kind Life said...

That's REALLY GOOD! I like that! Thank you for sharing! :)

Feminist Voice with Disabilities said...

Excellent points! I believe it is definitely true that we are our own best healers. We have to pull ourselves up and envision the future we want to create, and take the motions to get to where we want to be. I do know that medication is what help my mental health the most, but therapy and education about my illness and plain, old determination help just as much. Plus, even if medication works for you, that is not a passive act; to take medication requires the work to get the medication and stay on track with it.
At age 19, I decided I was going to defeat anorexia, or die. I didn't want to live the rest of my life in the nightmare of the eating disorder. I didn't die. I got better. Now I'm 35 and free of that horrible obssession. I mention this in case anyone reading has lost hope. Hold onto your hope; you can improve your life. Sometimes it just takes a long battle.

Nathalie M said...

This is so true. I have some cleaning up to do too! I am proud of you doing it! Now, I'll have to start too at some point.

Translation company said...

Very informative post.I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article.Thanks.Would be waiting for more stuff from yourside.